About Me

My photo
Too many written poems, short stories, essays, op-eds and columns... Someday, somehow; I'll find the way to organize, collect and post them in this blog... Thanks be to God and I'd became a campus journalist, member of a collegiate official student publication (VOICE), College Editors Guild of the Philippines (CEGP) guilder and an activist... I learned not to write only for myself but for the masses...

Monday, January 3, 2011

Enemy of democracy

Frustrations run my veins. Wrath fills my brain. My mouth wants to unleash a voice that is ready to extinguish something. My hands are itchy so a little write–up will ease such annoyance. Have the scrutiny behind my previous statements? Read on… You may get what you want from me. But because Proclamation 1017 was still in effect when I was writing this column, I promise to be extra careful. I won’t use a cannon to hit a fly or not even consider hitting myself into a wall. I don’t want this publication encounter the same situation that happened last February 26 - PNP guarding the activities of the Daily Tribune - a clear suppression of the freedom of expression. Am I exaggeratng? I don’t think so… TIP has its own police.


FRUSTRATION - politics turned into a scourge
One of my best friends sent me a text message last February 25, "Sumama ka ba sa rally?", she asked. Her question caused me to deliver a long sigh. When will the EDSA monument be free from rallies? Filipinos are now in vain. No matter how hard we try to get rid of the dilemmas caused by dirty politics, it seems it is already permanent. Juan dela Cruz wants to vomit it out of his system. I must help! I better do my little part as a citizen of this country, to have a stand regarding the matter and to defend that idea through acts and words. Never loose hope…


WRATH - Proclamation 1017 "overkill"
It is very dejecting amidst the 20th celebration of EDSA I, GMA, in her troubled status, to establish security against the perceived conspiracy between the extreme Left and extreme Right (as how Malacañang sees it), announced a State of Emergency (Proclamation 1017). What is she trying to protect, the government or her throne? Undoubtedly, 1017 carries along the power that will safeguard her government against coup attempts, leftists’ movements to unseat her, and to silence the media that either attack or tell the truth against her. It seems, GMA’s solution to uprisings, lawful petitions from the masses and rebellions is to trash the state’s freedom. It is truly amazing that you can arrest persons without warrant, raid a press office, position soldiers outside the two giant TV stations of the country and intimidate media through your PNP chief giving a warn that organizations face takeover if they don’t follow "government standards". In the turnout of events, I just can’t help but think that she’s turning to be a tyrant dictator in her own complex ways. Indeed, 1017 is a powerful tool for security only if it is used properly. Yeah, the government has the right to protect itself against any threat. However, Mrs. Arroyo in her entirety is not the government.


THE VOICE UNLEASHED - what the Philippine Constitution says
Proclamation 1017 is luxuriantly unconstitutional. As Article III Section 4 states: "No law shall be passed abridging the freedom of speech, of expression, or of the press." and Section 7 of the same article: "The right of the people to information on matters of public concern shall be recognized. Access to official records, and to documents and papers pertaining to official acts, transactions, on decisions, as well as to government research data used as basis for policy development, shall be offered the citizen.” Considering those excerpts, I hope 1017 - the tool being used by GMA to defend her presidency and the state (granting without accepting) is not the weapon being used to destroy democracy.


I’m just following the president’s order… I’m doing my share in defending this country’s democracy that is being attacked since time immemorial. And now, I’m getting ready - I found one obvious* enemy.


***Nailathala ang akdang ito sa tomo xxv, bilang 4 ng VOICE. Ito ang panahon nang ibinasura ng rehimeng Arroyo ang kalayaan sa pamamahayag at higit sa lahat ang mga lehitimong karapatan ng mga mamamayan. Ginawa niya ito upang makapanatili lamang sa kanyang puwesto. Hanggang ngayon bago matapos ang taong 2007, patuloy pa rin sa pagpapahirap sa masa si Gloria at maari pa itong magpatuloy hanggang sa matapos ang kanyang termino o karera sa pulitika. *Ang naunang salita na ginamit ng may-akda ay "possible" ngunit pinalitan dahil sa pagkakakilala at pagkakatiyak kung sino ang tunay na kalaban ng demokrasya - si Arroyo at ang kanyang mga alipores.

No comments:

Post a Comment